For Faculty and Staff

The Corporate and Foundation Relations team is your resource for finding and applying for funding opportunities. We act as a liaison between you and potential funders, and work closely with you throughout the application process, from beginning to end.

Please contact us directly at 212.404.3495 or for more information on how we can help secure funding for your research project.

Frequently Asked Questions for Faculty & Staff

We have an idea for a project. Can you meet with us to discuss this?

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your ideas for a concept or proposal with you.  In advance of scheduling a meeting, we ask that you review the concept paper/proposal planning guide in preparation for our discussion.  You can contact the staff for your area (listed below), or contact us at 212.404.3495 or for assistance.

Back to Top

Who on the Corporate and Foundation Relations team covers my area? How can I contact them?

Cancer Institute, Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Science, Basic Science, and Research - contact Terry Pearl, 212.404.3896, 

Cardiac and Vascular Institute; the Department of Medicine, including the Divisions of Geriatrics, Gastroenterology, Pulmonary, Critical Care, Sleep Medicine, Endocrinology, General Internal Medicine, Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Medical Humanities, Nephrology, and Translational Medicine; the Department of Emergency Medicine; Surgery; Anesthesiology; Ophthalmology; and the Department of Population Health - contact Lily Cabrera, 212.404.3681,

Cancer, Medical Education, Adult Psychiatry, Otolaryngology, Radiology, OB/GYN, Dermatology, Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Neuroscience, Nursing, Social Work, the Mind Body program, scholarships, student activities, patient centered care, and the free clinic - contact Elsa Dessberg, 212.404.3647,

Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine, the Steven D. Hassenfeld Children’s Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders, the Hospital for Joint Diseases, the Center for Musculoskeletal Care, Child Life, Child Psychiatry, and the Departments of Orthopaedics, Pediatrics, and Urology - contact Maxwell Winer, 212.404.3473,

You can find also contact us at 212.404.3495 or for assistance.

Back to Top

What is a “centrally coordinated” foundation? How do I go about contacting this type of foundation?

A centrally coordinated foundation is one that manages its relations through NYU Langone.  The Corporate and Foundation Relations team coordinates letters of inquiry and applications on the foundation’s behalf.  The following is a list of centrally coordinated foundations – please get in touch with us first before contacting them: 

  • Atlantic Philanthropies
  • W.M. Keck Foundation
  • Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust
  • Fan Fox & Leslie R. Samuels Foundation, Inc.
  • The Louis and Rachel Rudin Foundation
  • New York State Health Foundation
  • Stavros Niarchos Foundation
  • William Randolph Hearst Foundation/The Hearst Foundations
  • Commonwealth Fund
  • The Morris & Alma Schapiro Fund
  • Making Headway Foundation
  • The Leon Levy Foundation
  • G. Harold & Leila Y. Mathers Foundation
  • The Peter Jay Sharp Foundation
  • Peter G. Peterson Foundation
  • The New York Community Trust
  • Ira Sohn Conference Foundation
  • Avon Foundation
  • Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Greater NYC
  • Susan G. Komen for the Cure (National)
  • Robin Hood Foundation
  • The Robertson Foundation
  • The Kresge Foundation
  • Blavatnik Family Foundation
  • The Bloomberg Family Foundation, Inc.
  • Breast Cancer Alliance
  • The Breast Cancer Research Foundation
  • The Irma T. Hirschl Trust
  • Manhasset Women’s Coalition Against Breast Cancer
  • Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation
  • Starlight Children's Foundation NY*NJ*CT
  • The Starr Foundation
  • Feldstein Medical Foundation
  • Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr. Foundation
  • The Mary Kay Foundation

Additionally, many non-federally funded awards for faculty in the early stages of their careers limit the number of applicants that any institution can nominate. To ensure that the NYU School of Medicine nominates candidates with the best chances of success, the Office of Science and Research has an internal application process for all Limited Submission Awards. Please visit the OSR website for more information about limited submission awards and the limited submission award calendar. 

Back to Top

What is the difference between federal and foundation grant proposals?

The Corporate and Foundation Relations Team handles non-federal, non-government, philanthropic grants.  This includes working with:

  • Private Foundations
  • Public Foundations or Charities
  • Affiliated Giving Programs
  • Community Foundations
  • Corporate Giving Programs
  • Corporate Foundations
  • Donor-Advised Funds
  • Federated Giving Programs
  • Religious Organizations

For assistance with government submissions, please contact SPA.

Back to Top

If I’m interested in submitting a grant proposal to a private funder or corporation, do I need to first reach out to the Development Office?

Yes. The Office of Development applies for NYU-wide institutional clearance for PIs to approach private funders and corporations. Please contact us to manage your clearance process, and for additional assistance with your grant proposal.

Back to Top

Which financial documents will I need for my grant proposal?

The Corporate and Foundation Relations Team keeps the following information on file for the institution: 

  • Form 990s
  • Audited Financial Statements
  • Tax Determination Letters
  • Operating Budgets
  • Board of Trustees Lists

We keep separate documents for NYU Hospitals Center and NYU School of Medicine, and can guide you in determining which documents are needed for your proposal(s). You will need a budget for your proposed project. 

Back to Top

How can the Corporate and Foundation Relations team assist us in the proposal process?

The Corporate and Foundation Relations team is available to help you craft your proposal, from conception to submission. For proposals that are funded, we will also help you complete narrative reports to the donor, and work with finance to secure financial reports.

Back to Top

What is an RFP?

An organization issues a Request for Proposal, or RFP, in order to solicit research/grant proposals for funding opportunities. The RFP typically includes the requirements for submitting the proposal, as well as details on the funding opportunity’s specific topic and purpose.

Back to Top

How can I find out about RFPs?

There are a number of online directories where you can find information about RFPs, including the following:

Back to Top

What do I do with a check that I’ve received from a foundation?

Please alert us to checks received from private philanthropic funders so that we can route them appropriately and ensure that the donor receives IRS receipts and institutional acknowledgement.

Back to Top

How can I get a corporate sponsor for an event?

Please contact us directly within our areas of coverage to discuss event sponsorships from companies. Our areas of coverage are listed within the team bio section

Where can I find the policy on distinguishing between gifts and sponsored awards?

Policy on Distinguishing Between Gifts and Sponsored Awards (including checklist), FAQs

Back to Top